Prof. CHOU Loke Ming
Tel No: 65162696
My interests are coral reef biology, coastal management and conservation. Southeast Asia remains the global hotspot for marine biodiversity but intense anthropogenic pressure has significantly depressed the level of ecosystem services. The implications are compromised environmental and societal security. Coastal management is crucial and urgent and policies are effective when based on good science. In a region where coastal and marine environmental degradation is widespread, habitat restoration/remediation is part of the needed response.
Status and management of Southeast Asia's coral reefs and climate change impacts. Impact of high sediment on Singapore reefs.
Research application and extension
My research experience in reef management and restoration is shared with partners from the private and public sectors. Current collaborations include:
- Establishment of Singapore's first coral nursery at Pulau Semakau (with National Parks Board, Keppel Industries, National Environment Agency).
- Assessment of reef health in Bintan north (with Banyan Tree Bintan and Bintan Resorts Cakrawala).
- Global Coral Reef Monitoring Network, International Coral
Scientific and Technical Advisory Committee - Member (since 1996), Chair (2003-2005)
- Asia Environmental Council
Executive Board – member (since 1998)
- GESAMP (Joint Group of Experts on the Scientific Aspects
of Marine Environmental Protection)
Member (since Apr 2010)
- Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation
Marine Resource Conservation Working Group, Roster of Experts (since Nov 2010)