Two research positions available
We are looking for the following researchers to join our lab to work on a project investigating the role of the secreted proteinase ADAMTS5 in cancer and angiogenesis. Our lab recently identified that ADAMTS5 is a novel angiogenesis inhibitor and suppress cancer growth in xenograft mouse models. In this project, further characterization of this proteinase and its mechanisms of action will be pursued, and its significance in human cancer investigated. Candidates with a keen interest in scientific research and a curious mind are invited to apply.
1. Research fellow (RF, postdoctoral fellow):
Candidate with PhD degree and prior research experience in molecular biology, cell biology or biochemistry is required. Prior experience in mouse model is a plus.
2. Research assistant (RA):
Candidate with BSc (Honors) or MSc degree and prior lab experience in molecular biology, cell biology or biochemistry is preferred. PhD candidate who has submitted his/her thesis and are in the transition stage for degree completion are welcome to apply.
Successful candidates can expect a competitive salary and benefit package. Interested candidates are encouraged to send their CV and full contacts of at least three referees to:
Prof. Ruowen Ge, Department of Biological Sciences, National University of Singapore, Singapore, 119260. Email: email@example.com;
For more information about our lab and research, please visit:
Department of Biological Sciences faculty web: www.dbs.edu.nus.sg/Staff/ge.html;
Molecular Angiogenesis lab web: http://staff.science.nus.edu.sg/~ruowenge/index.html.
Position: Specialist Associate
Department: Biological Sciences
To perform as an Engine Driver on board NUS Research Vessel "Galaxea" and take charge in the operations and maintenance of the main engines, auxilliary engine and the machineries/ equipment on board the vessel.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Monitoring and carry out the planned maintenance schedule of the Main Engines, Auxiliary engine, transmission and jet propulsion system as recommended by the manufacturer requirement including simple Lub oil and filters change.
2) Carry out pre-sea checks on the Main Engines, Auxiliary engine, gear-box transmission system, jet propulsion system, including deck machinery (“A” Frame & winch hydraulic system).
3) Operate, test and maintain the marine electric system such as capstan & sea water pump
4) Checking and clearing of the sea chest before the starting of the main & auxiliary engine.
5) Checking of the fuel status and ensuring that is sufficient for the trip before proceeding to sea.
6) Carry out refuelling of diesel at the approved station.
7) Carry out ah-hoc repair on the machinery as and when the need arises.
8) To perform deck and other duties whilst at sea.
9) Ensure sufficient spares - like fuel & oil filters, and all necessary oil used on board.
10) Monitor the progress of repair done by termed contractor or other appointed contractors if the repair is being carried out by them.
11) Monitor the cleanliness and storage of the engine room and the removal of fire hazard material in the engine room.
12) Ensuring that the fire extinguishers are serviceable in the engine room
13) Ensure that the entrance of the hatch cover is not blocked at all times
14) Greasing of the jet drive shaft and U-joint as recommended by the manufacturer.
15) Ensuring that the non- essential power switches is switch off and all bilges pump is put to Auto mode before securing the boat.
16) As and when required to work exceeding normal working hours including on weekend and holiday.
- GCE ‘O’ level with a NTC 3 in heavy duty diesel mechanic engineering
- At least 2 to 3 years’ experience as a licenced engine driver
- MPA Class 3 Engine Driver Certificate of Competency
- MPA Port Limit Steersman Certificate of Competency
Interested applicants to submit application package (CV, Educational Certificates and Job Application Form) to the attention of Ms Lisa Lau at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, 27 March 2015.
The successful candidate will administer HR matters and handle personnel and confidential matters for the Head of Department.
Duties and Responsibilities
Recruitment and employment matters for research staff appointments and maintaining staff database
- Recruitment and employment matters for adjunct staff appointments
- Recruitment and employment matters for casual staff appointments
- Administer Promotion and Tenure of Faculty Members
- Administer Annual Review of Research staff under grants
- Advise on HR matters for the abovementioned staff categories
- Administrator for Consultation Work
- Provide support to HoD on department-related confidential matters.
- Provide secretariat support for department Exco meetings.
- Attend to staff enquiries for Shared Services related matters
- Collation of documents for Faculty Teaching Excellence Awards
- Collation of FoS peer review requests and initiate the online peer review
- Other ad-hoc projects and duties as assigned
- At least a Bachelor’s degree.
- Proficient in general MS office applications.
- Good planning and organizational skills, a team player with good interpersonal skills.
- Willing to learn with a positive attitude.
- Mature, meticulous, resourceful, initiative and highly motivated.
- Possess a positive work attitude and responsive and adaptive to changes;
- Experience and qualifications in HR would be an advantage
- Familiarity with hiring, human resources management, employment law would be an advantage
An Assistant Research Officer (ARO) position is immediately available at the Dr. YU Fengwei’s group in Temasek Life Sciences Laboratory, Singapore. The group is interested in studying the mechanisms controlling neural development and pruning using Drosophila melanogaster, an excellent model organism. The successful candidate is motivated and expected to provide assistance and support for a couple of interesting projects.
The annual salary/stipend is very competitive commensurable to the educational qualifications and working experience of the candidates.
Interested individuals may send your application that includes your CV and three recommendation letters to:
Yu Fengwei, PhD
Senior Principal Investigator
Temasek Life Sciences Laboratory
1 Research Link
National University of Singapore
A research group headed by Asst. Prof. Utkur Mirsaidov in the Centre for BioImaging Science is looking for a research assistant to support projects in in situ Electron Microscopy. A successful candidate will be in charge of creating a framework for scalable algorithmic processing for heterogeneous microscopy data and he/she will apply statistical methods to experiments in nanoparticle dynamics.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Physics or Computer Science from reputable university.
- Knowledgeable about the fundamentals of fluid mechanics, statistical mechanics, biophysics, and computational physics is a must.
- Has previous experience of work in research setting or thesis project on a research topic under supervision,
- Must be independent and motivated.
Interested candidates can send their resume to (only shortlisted candidates will be contacted):
Asst Prof. Utkur Mirsaidov
Center for BioImaging Sciences,
National University of Singapore,
14 Science Drive 4,
Work involves the clinical care of a wide variety of animals used in research programs. Work also involves assist small and large animals surgeries procedures and performance specimens collection, mainly, for hematology and serology exams which require a considerable degree of accuracy and manual dexterity, and the maintenance and care of laboratory specimens and materials. Employees allocated to this class must work in close association and collaboration with other professional, scientific, and technical personnel. Work is performed with considerable independence within established methods and procedures under the general supervision of an administrative superior.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Graduation from a recognized college or university with a major in biology or a closely related field and one year of related experience; or successful completion of a college level two year Laboratory Animal Technician program/or Veterinary Technician program, and two years of related experience; or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Field sites in Singapore, mostly Geylang and at DBS
Duties include: inspecting water bodies for mosquito larvae, assisting with laboratory experiments on adult mosquitoes
Employer: SMART-CENSAM, in conjunction with DBS
Duration: 16 hours per week, 4 months
Enquiries: A/P Theodore Evans, email@example.com