Darren YEO Chong Jinn
Assistant Professor and Assistant Head of Department
Research Affiliate, Lee Kong Chian Natural History Museum (LKCNHM)
Research Affiliate, Tropical Marine Science Institute (TMSI)
Department of Biological Science
National University of Singapore
14 Science Drive 4
Freshwater and Invasion Biology Lab
PhD NUS, BSc (Hons) NUS
BL5230 – Invasion Biology
LSM3254 – Ecology of Aquatic Environments
LSM4263 – Field Studies in Biodiversity
LSM4264 – Freshwater Biology
LSM4266 – Topics in Aquatic Biodiversity
- Freshwater ecology and biodiversity
- Aquatic invasions
- Freshwater decapod crustaceans (systematics, taxonomy, and conservation)
Projects (together with students, staff, and collaborators) include biodiversity surveys and ecological studies of Singapore’s freshwater fauna such as plankton, invertebrates, and fishes; ecological studies of aquatic alien species in Singapore and tropical Asia; and systematics and taxonomy, and conservation of freshwater crabs and other decapod crustaceans.
- Freshwater ecology and biodiversity – Ongoing ecological work focuses on Singapore’s streams and reservoirs including investigations of toxin production by cyanobacteria and their responses to environmental variables; food web and trophic interactions; and origins and ecology of freshwater molluscs.
- Aquatic invasions – Investigating invasiveness, ecology, and impacts of aquatic alien species, e.g., competitive interactions between introduced and native freshwater snails, decapod crustaceans, gobies, gouramies, catfishes, and frogs. Introduced species currently being studied include the golden apple snail (Pomacea canaliculata), redclaw crayfish (Cherax quadricarinatus), marbled goby (Oxyeleotris marmorata), Midas (Amphilophus citrinellus) and Mayan (Cichlasoma uropthalmus) cichlids, and African sharptooth catfish (Clarias gariepinus), Guenther’s frog (Hylarana guentheri) and American bullfrog (Lithobates catesbeianus).
- Freshwater crabs – Work includes systematic and taxonomic studies of Asian freshwater crabs; global IUCN Red List conservation assessments; and ecological and conservation studies of critically endangered species, e.g., the Singapore freshwater crab (Johora singaporensis).
- International Advisory Board, Crustacean Research (2015–2017)
- Associate Editor, Aquatic Invasions (2013–present)
- Associate Editor, BioInvasions Records (2013–present)
- Editorial Board, COSMOS (Journal of the Singapore National Academy of Sciences) (2010–2012)
- Editorial Board, Raffles Bulletin of Zoology (2007–present)
- Associate Editor, Raffles Bulletin of Zoology (2002–2007)
- Managing Editor, Raffles Bulletin of Zoology (2002–2004)
- Editor, Singapore Institute of Biology Bulletin (2003–2007)
- Kwik JTB, Yeo DCJ (2015). Differences in fish assemblages in protected
and non-protected freshwater streams in a tropical urbanized country. Hydrobiologia, DOI 10.1007/s10750-015-2344-8
- Chua KWJ, Ng DJJ, Zeng Y, Yeo DCJ (2015) Habitat characteristics of tropical rainforest freshwater crabs (Decapoda: Brachyura: Potamidae, Gecarcinucidae) in Singapore. Journal of Crustacean Biology, 35(4), 533-539, 2015, DOI: 10.1163/1937240X-00002346
- Zeng Y, Chong KY, Grey EK, Lodge DM, Yeo DCJ (2015) Disregarding human pre-introduction selection can confound invasive crayfish risk assessments. Biological Invasions 17(8): 2373-2385 DOI 10.1007/s10530-015-0881-8
- Mowe MAD, Mitrovic SM, Lim RP, Furey A, Yeo DCJ (2015) Tropical cyanobacterial blooms: a review of prevalence, problem taxa, toxins and influencing environmental factors. Journal of Limnology, 74(2): 205-224.
- Stahl MO, Tarek MH, Yeo DCJ, Badruzzaman ABM, Harvey CF (2014), Crab burrows as conduits for groundwater-surface water exchange in Bangladesh, Geophysical Research Letters, 41, doi:10.1002/2014GL061626.
- Ng TH, Tan SK, Yeo DCJ (2014) The taxonomy, distribution and introduction history of the earliest reported alien freshwater mollusc in Singapore – Sinotaia guangdungensis (Gastropoda: Viviparidae). Malacologia, 57(2): 401−408
- Ng HH, Low BW, Kwik JTB, Yeo DCJ (2013) The tables are turned: an invasive species under potential threat. Biological Invasions. Published online 5 Dec 2013. DOI 10.1007/s10530-013-0618-5
- Liew JH, Tan HH, Yi Y, Yeo DCJ (2013) Ecology and origin of the introduced cichlid Acarichthys heckelii in Singapore’s fresh waters—first instance
of establishment. Environmental Biology of Fishes. Published online 17 Nov 2013. DOI 10.1007/s10641-013-0201-z
- Kwik JTB, Kho ZY, Quek BS, Tan HH, Yeo DCJ (2013) Urban stormwater ponds in Singapore: potential pathways for spread of alien freshwater fishes. BioInvasions Records 2 (3): 239–245.
- Klaus S, Selvandran S, Goh JW, Wowor D, Brandis D, Koller P, Schubart CD, Streit B, Meier R, Ng PKL, Yeo DCJ (2013) Out of Borneo: Neogene diversification of Sundaic freshwater crabs (Crustacea: Brachyura: Gecarcinucidae: Parathelphusa) Journal of Biogeography 40: 63–74.
- Lodge DM, Deines A, Gherardi F, Yeo DCJ, Arcella T, Baldridge AK, Barnes MA, Chadderton WL, Feder JL, Gantz CA, Howard GW, Jerde CL, Peters BW, Peters JA, Sargent LW, Turner CR, Wittmann ME, Y Zeng (2012) Global Introductions of Crayfishes: Evaluating the Impact of Species Invasions on Ecosystem Services. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 43: 449-472 (Volume publication date December 2012) [First published online as a Review in Advance on September 17, 2012 DOI: 10.1146/annurev-ecolsys-111511-103919]
- Jaafar Z, Yeo DCJ, Tan HH, O’Riordan RM (2012) Status of estuarine and marine non-indigenous species in Singapore. Raffles Bulletin of Zoology Supplement No. 25: 79–92
- Yeo DCJ, Ng PKL (2012) Sodhiana, a new genus of freshwater crab from South Asia. (Decapoda: Brachyura: Gecarcinucidae). Raffles Bulletin of Zoology Supplement No. 25: 279–284.
- Belle, CC, Wong JQH, Yeo DCJ, Tan SH, Tan, HH, Clews E, Todd PA (2011) Ornamental trade as a pathway for Australian redclaw crayfish introduction and establishment. Aquatic Biology 12: 69–79.
- Cumberlidge N, Ng PKL, Yeo DCJ, Naruse T, Meyer KS, Esser LJ (2011) Diversity, endemism and conservation of the freshwater crabs of China (Brachyura: Potamidae and Gecarcinucidae). Integrative Zoology 6: 45-55.
- Chong KY, Corlett RT, Yeo DCJ, Tan HTW (2011) Towards a global database of weed risk assessments: a test of transferability for the tropics. Biological Invasions 13(7):1571–1577
- Beenaerts N, Bahir MM, Ng PKL, Yeo DCJ, Bex GJ, Pethiyagoda R, Artois T (2010) Phylogenetic diversity of Sri Lankan freshwater crabs and its implications for conservation. Molecular Ecology, 19: 183–196.
- Ng HH, Tan HH, Yeo DCJ, Ng PKL (2010) Stingers in a strange land: South American freshwater stingrays (Potamotrygonidae) in Singapore. Biological Invasions 12(8): 2385-2388
- Yeo DCJ, Ahyong ST, Lodge DM, Ng PKL, Naruse T, Lane DJW (2010) Floating oil platforms pose a serious threat as vectors of biofouling-mediated invasions. Biofouling 26(2): 179–186. DOI 10.1080/08927010903402438
- Cumberlidge N, Ng PKL, Yeo DCJ, Magalhães C, Campos MR, Alvarez F, Naruse T, Daniels SR, Esser LJ, Attipoe FYK, Clotilde-Ba FL, Darwall W, McIvor A, Baillie JEM, Collen B, Ram M (2009) Freshwater crabs and the biodiversity crisis: Importance, threats, status, and conservation challenges. Biological Conservation 142: 1665–1673.
- Yeo DCJ, Ng PKL, Cumberlidge N, Magalhães C, Daniels SR, Campos MR (2008) in freshwater. In: Balian EV, Lévêque C, Segers H, Martens K (eds.), Freshwater Animal Diversity Assessment. Hydrobiologia 575: 275–286.
- Huang H, Todd PA, Yeo DCJ (2008) Inter- and intra-specific variation in the facial colours of Perisesarma eumolpe and Perisesarma indiarum (Crustacea: Brachyura: Sesarmidae). Hydrobiologia 598: 361–371.
- Shih HT, Yeo DCJ, Ng PKL (2008) The collision of the Indian plate with Asia: molecular evidence for its impact on the phylogeny of freshwater crabs (Brachyura: Potamidae). Journal of Biogeography 36: 703–719.
- Ahyong ST, Yeo DCJ (2007) Feral populations of the Australian Red-Claw Crayfish (Cherax quadricarinatus von Martens) in water supply catchments of Singapore. Biological Invasions 9: 943–946.
- Yeo DCJ, Shih HT, Meier R, Ng PKL (2007) Phylogeography of the freshwater crab genus Johora (Crustacea: Brachyura: Potamidae) from the Malay Peninsula, and the origins of its insular fauna. Zoologica Scripta 36: 255–269.
- Yeo DCJ, Ng PKL (2005) On a new genus of freshwater crab from Vietnam, with description of a new species, with comments on the nomenclatural status of Orientalia Dang, 1975 (Crustacea: Brachyura: Potamidae: Potamiscinae). Zootaxa 917: 1–15.
- Yeo DCJ, Ng PKL (2003) Recognition of two subfamilies in the Potamidae Ortmann, 1896 (Brachyura, Potamidae), with a note on the genus Potamon Savigny. Crustaceana 76(10): 1219–1235.
- Yeo DCJ, Naiyanetr P, Ng PKL (1999) Revision of the waterfall crabs of the genus Demanietta Bott, 1966 (Decapoda: Brachyura: Potamidae). Journal of Crustacean Biology 19(3): 530–555.
- Yeo DCJ, Ng PKL (1997) On a new genus of riverine crab (Crustacea: Decapoda: Brachyura: Potamidae) from northwestern Thailand, with descriptions of two new species. Hydrobiologia 350: 179–188.
Selected book/book chapters/editorships
- Ng DJJ, McGowan PJK, Raghavan R, Cai Y, Cumberlidge N, Davison GHW, Luz S, Yeo DCJ (2015) Conservation Strategy for the Singapore freshwater crab Johora singaporensis. Singapore, 19 pp.
- Wang LK, Yeo DCJ, Lim KKP, Lum SKY (eds.) (2012) Private Lives: An Exposé of Singapore’s Rainforests. Raffles Museum of Biodiversity Research. 298 pp.
- Yeo DCJ, Corlett RT, Tan HTW (2011) Chapter 8. The Biodiversity Crisis in Asia: Singapore as a model for environmental change and threats to terrestrial and freshwater ecosystems. In: Savage VR, Lye LH (eds) Environment and Climate Change in Asia: Ecological Footprints and Green Prospects. Pearson. Pp. 161-170.
- Yeo DCJ, Lim KKP (2011). Freshwater Ecosystems. In: Ng PKL, Corlett RT, Tan HTW (eds.), Singapore Biodiversity: An Encyclopedia of the Natural Environment and Sustainable Development. Editions Didier Millet. Pp 52-63.
- Yeo DCJ, Carlton JT, Teo SLM, Ng PKL (2011). An Incoming Flood on a Cryptic Stage: Understanding Alien Crustacean Invasions in Southeast Asia. In: Galil BS, Clark PF, Carlton JT (eds.), In the Wrong Place - Alien Marine Crustaceans: Distribution, Biology and Impacts. Invading Nature - Springer Series in Invasion Ecology 6, Springer Netherlands. Pp 403-417.
- Yeo DCJ, Wang LK, Lim KKP (eds.) (2010) Private Lives: An Exposé of Singapore’s Freshwaters. Raffles Museum of Biodiversity Research. 258 pp.
- Tan HTW, Chou LM, Yeo DCJ, Ng PKL (2010) The Natural Heritage of Singapore, 3rd Edition. Pearson Prentice Hall. 323 pp.
- Yeo DCJ, Tan SH, Ng PKL (2008) Horseshoe crabs (Phylum Arthropoda: Subphylum Chelicerata: Class Merostomata) Decapod Crustaceans (Phylum Arthropoda: Subphylum Crustacea: Order Decapoda). In: Davison GHW, Ng PKL, Ho HC (Eds.), The Singapore Red Data Book: Threatened Plants and Animals of Singapore, 2nd. edn. Nature Society (Singapore), Singapore. Pp. 110-128.
- Ng PKL, Yeo DCJ (2007) . In: Chua LSL, Kirton LG, Saw LG (eds.), Status of Biological Diversity in Malaysia & Threat Assessment of Plant Species in Malaysia. 28–30 June 2005, Forest Research Institute Malaysia. Pp. 90–118.
- Yeo DCJ, Ng PKL, Pethiyagoda R (eds.) (2005) Contributions to biodiversity exploration and research in Sri Lanka. Raffles Bulletin of Zoology supplement 12. Pp. i, 1–434.