Ph.D. in Biology from Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire.
Mechanobiology of cells and tissues, dynamics of nano-scale water, biomaging sciences.
The main thrust of research in the last decade has been on the structure and mechanisms that generate force.
In current research, the lab is studying two main problems: epithelial cell migration on 2D surfaces and mesenchymal/amoeboid cell migration in 3D matrices. We are studying how epithelial cells move in cell culture and in vivo and are characterizing the mechanical factors that control movement and the type of motility.
Our interests in imaging arose from studies on the dynamics of actin bundles and cell adhesions. From its origin in the WI Keck Microscopy Facility and the WI-MIT BioImaging Center at MIT, the scale and scope of bioimaging has grown and moved in 2010 to the NUS Centre for BioImaging Sciences. With newly renovated labs opened in 2011, CBIS is devoted to development and application of state-of-art TEM and light microscopy methods to problems in molecular, cell, and tissue mechanobiology.
Recent research in the group share a common theme in dynamics: imaging of tissue formation and dynamics in developing Zebrafish embryos, imaging protein in room temperature water by real-time TEM, trapping nanoparticles in an electron trap, and formation and dynamics of nm-diameter water droplets.
Selected Publications (last ten from 170)
- Murrell M, Kamm R, Matsudaira P. 2011 Substrate Viscocity Enhances Correlation in Epithelial Sheet Movement. Biophys. J. 101:297-306
- Murrell M, Kamm R, Matsudaira P. 2011 Tension, Free Space, and Cell Damage in a Microfluidic Wound Healing Assay. PLoS One 6:e24283
- Veronika M, Welsch R, Ng A, Matsudaira P, Rajapakse JC 2011 Correlation of cell membrane dynamics and cell motility BMC Bioinform. 12:S19.
- Huang TW, Liu SY, Chuang YJ, Hsieh HY, Tsai CY, Huang YT, Mirsaidov U, Matsudaira P, Tseng FG, Chang CS, Chen FR. 2012. Self-aligned wet-cell for hydrated microbiology observation in TEM. Lab Chip. 12:340-7.
- Mirsaidov UM, Zheng H, Bhattacharya D, Casana Y, Matsudaira P. 2012. Imaging protein structure in water at 2.7 nm resolution by TEM. Biophys J. 102:L15-7.
- Mirsaidov UM, Zheng H, Bhattacharya D, Casana Y, Matsudaira P. 2012. Direct observation of stick-slip movements of water nanodroplets induced by an electron beam. PNAS 109(19), 7187-7190.
- Mirsaidov UM, Ohl, CD, Matsudaira P. 2012 Direct observation of nanometer-size void dynamics in ultra-thin water film. Soft Matter 8:7108-7111.
- Ryu, S, Lang M, Matsudaira P. 2012 Maximal Mechanical Performance Characteristics of the Ca2+-powered Actuator of Vorticella convallaria Biophysics 103:860-867.
- Anwar M, Gupta PB, Ralaniapan R, Matsudaira P. 2012 Protein Array Patterning by Diffusive Gel Stamping. PLOS ONE in press.
- Zheng H, Mirsaidov UM, Wang LW, Matsudaira P. 2012. Electron Beam Manipulation of Nanoparticles. Nano Lett. Oct 9. [Epub ahead of print]